Saturday, August 21, 2010

Bogota, Colombia Volunteer Opp @ Girls' Orphanage

I'm not sure if I'll be doing Bogota anymore (due to the high taxes I'm thinking Costa Rica or an island might be better) but I had e-mailed a woman at Children's Outreach Ministry that runs a orhpanage for 12 girls

Here is what she e-mailed me back regarding service opps. I'll still stay in contact with her but if someone is interested let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.




dateFri, Aug 20, 2010 at 6:12 PM
subjectRe: Looking for a Volunteer Opportunity in Bogota
mailed-bygmail.com
signed-bygmail.com

hide details 6:12 PM (16 hours ago)

Hi Niki- I'm sure you could visit! Thanks for contacting us. The girls in the orphanage (called the Beehive) are very welcoming to visitors. The only questions is: do you speak Spanish? If not, you could still visit, but it would be more difficult to communicate and help out. Volunteers are always welcome to come play, help with household duties, and help the girls with schoolwork in the morning (they attend school in the afternoon).


What dates will you be in Bogotá? Let me know so I can check with the people who run the organization. My husband and I currently live in the United States, though we are still involved and just visited about a month ago. So we wouldn't be able to introduce you, but it's pretty easy to get comfortable fast with the girls.


I will look into what larger projects might be needed right now. The church next door (with which the orphanage is connected) is just finishing up some construction. However in the orphanage itself, there are usually a number of little work projects that need to get done. Mainly our greatest need is people who can spend time with the girls, help with homework, read to them, bring them to the park, etc. The two women who live and work there are amazing, but having 12 children is no easy task!


Please let me know what your plans are and I can connect you with people in Bogotá. Thanks so much for inquiring!


Catherine Grady

No comments:

Post a Comment