Friday, September 17, 2010

Epic Journey Log Entry #3 ---Fort Lauderdale/Boynton Beach/Hollywood Beach

Epic Journey Log Entry #3
Fort Lauderdale/Boynton Beach/Hollywood Beach

As I mentioned earlier I’ve been to Florida once – when I flew down to mascot a football game at Florida International University (ps: I hate that school because their students are the meanest and kept trying to fight me!). Sadly, all I saw was the hotel pool and hot tub (mm, yay!), the Everglades (got to hold a baby alligator and take a swamp boat ride and saw tons ‘o’ gators!), and a freakin’ OLIVE GARDEN (cuz tell me why the cheerleaders wanted to eat there and not at, gee I dunno, a CUBAN restaurant or someplace that wasn’t a chain???!!!

But I digress.

So Saturday night I landed at 7:30PM in Fort Lauderdale where my most gracious and awesome friend Julio picked me up. I’ve known Julio since he used to hang out on my floor during my sophomore year and he is definitely one of my favorite people. For example, I was thinking we’d head back to his apartment at Boynton Beach once he picked me up but no! Turns out we were starting my adventure asap!

Immediately we headed to Hollywood Beach where I saw the ATLANTIC OCEAN for the FIRST TIME! Okay, it was dark, but I still walked barefoot along the beach!

Simply put, it was an amazing experience. The lapping of the waves created a relaxing atmosphere that set my exhausted body at ease. Each step of the rough sand was like a foot massage and the waves that rolled over my ankles brought a welcomed coolness to my body – ‘cause trust when I say that this Ohio girl was definitely not used to the heat and humidity of Florida!

And as I gazed curiously at the black sea that had a smattering of light shining over it from the waxing moon, I was struck with a thought. While my future was partially lit with rough outlined plans for my 3-week trip, the dark waters mirrored the unseen but deep moments that I would soon be experiencing. Ultimately, I couldn’t possibly prepare for everything that I would be encountering; I could only prepare myself to find the spontaneity and boldness to plunge into whatever came my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment